It's time to think about BMI..
On a Mission to make a Healthier World
Honey helps in reducing weight at faster rate for sure..contnd
Do you consume these foods?
Then avoid them till you reduce weight or your high BMI comes down
If you are overweight or obese and want to reduce you additional accumulated weight then you must avoid below 4 foods:-
Refined white flour (all purpose flour)
and White rice
Refined white flour in white pasta and white rice may cause a spike in blood sugar levels.
Prefer wholemeal flour instead as they are good for digestion and will keep you fuller for a longer time.
No potatoes at all:
Table or refined Sugar
Any form of potato can cause your body's insulin level to rise. Avoid all forms of potatoes.
Avoid refined or table sugar till you reduce your weight or your high BMI comes down.
Instead use zero calorie sweener or use honey wherever possible.
Precaution while using Honey
• Never Heat Honey - Ayurvedic dietary principles suggests that honey should never be heated to above 40°C (104°F) such as by adding to hot boiling drinks or baking. The typical explanation given is that honey digests slowly when cooked and the molecules become like glue, adhering to mucous membranes and clogging the body’s channels producing toxins.
Other explanations are that heating honey destroys the enzymes.
• Research also shows that honey turns toxic if boiled or added to boiling water or cooked at high temperature so don’t mix honey with hot boiling water or cook honey at high temperatures, because improper heat will cause nutrients in honey to be severely damaged and catalyst in it be lost.
• So if you are adding honey to a hot water or use it in your tea, instead of sugar as a natural sweetener, then it is fine but just wait until the water/tea has cooled somewhat…it’s nicely warm (rather than boiling hot), before you add honey.
A simple test to know when the temperature is below 40 degrees C is that you can comfortably hold a sip of the drink in your mouth and it doesn’t burn your tongue.
• Honey should never be mixed with fermented beverages like whisky, rum, brandy and with ghee, mustard.
Does Honey add to your calorie?
When reducing weight, a calorie deficit - whereby you consume fewer calories than you burn - is vital. This means that whatever you eat has to fit into your daily calorie allowance. A 1-teaspoon serving of honey contains 21 calories.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends that most women need between 1,600 and 2,400 calories to maintain weight, while men need 2,000 to 3,000. To reduce weight, you'll need slightly less than this, so however much honey you eat, it must fit into your calorie goal.
Secondly as it is aiding to flush out stored additional fats its calorie may not play any significant role in your weight.
Honey in diabetes mellitus
Use of honey in medications for diabetes is mentioned in Ayurveda since ancient times. In various localities, patients suffering from diabetes mellitus use honey in place of sugar.
5 Research supporting above factors
1) The results of the study demonstrate that 8-week consumption of honey can provide beneficial effects on body weight and blood lipids of diabetic patients.
However, since an increase in the hemoglobin A(1C) levels was observed, cautious consumption of this food by diabetic patients is recommended - The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health
2) Given that honey has a gentler effect on blood sugar levels on a per gram basis, and tastes sweeter than sucrose (a compound which is the chief component of cane or beet sugar)so that fewer grams would be consumed, it would seem prudent to recommend honey over sucrose - The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health .
3) Founder of the honey diet, Mike McInnes, discovered that athletes who ate foods rich in fructose such as honey burnt a lot more fats and had increased stamina levels as well. Honey acts as a fuel to make the liver produce glucose. This glucose keeps the brain sugar levels high and forces it to release fat burning hormones.
4) The FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations ) Codex Alimentarius Commission (The Codex Alimentarius (Latin for "Book of Food") is a collection of internationally recognized standards, codes of practice, guidelines and other recommendations relating to foods, food production and food safety, it is established by FAO in early November 1961 ) defines honey as the natural sweet substance produced by honeybees from the nectar of flowers or from secretions coming from living organisms feeding on plants, that bees gather, transform and combine with specific ingredients, store and leave to ripen in the combs of the hive.
5) Findings of research study as per USA National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health suggests that consumption of honey may help in reducing cholesterol as compared to sugar. It also leads to lower increase in plasma glucose levels.
To conclude this post
If you are overweight or obese (high BMI - Body mass index) then you need to act fast to reduce weight because the next step of overweight is obesity. Obesity is much more health hazardous then overweight. Check your current weight status using Body Mass Index calculator and act immediately if you are coming under high body mass index zone.
If you are either overweight or obese and want to stay away from health risks then try adopting honey in your daily drink and food as stated above and check the results in 4 to 8 weeks. If you want to see faster results then add any one physical activity/exercise and see 100% guaranteed results in very short duration. Honey diet is ancient, proven, natural way to reduce weight.
In some cases doctors advised patients to stop consuming honey because it reduced the weight at much faster space. These people accepted that they were really on their toes to reduce weight so they did brisk walking in morning and at evening and had strict control on calorie consumption. Do you know what the calorie requirement for you is? Check here
So the bottom line is instead of going much into its chemistry and geographic disparity just start consuming it and check the difference in 4 to 8 weeks. If you get some sort of results then continue using it to see full results and share with others.
Please note - Due to different body genes and metabolism and hormones it is quite possible to see the variation in results but it is for sure that sooner or later people get results.
From where to buy Honey
Try to buy organic or Raw Honey
Below are few resources to buy Raw or Organic Honey
organic honey http://www.amazon.com
Other health benefits of consuming Honey
Antibacterial and antifungal
Honey has a powerful therapeutic action because of its incredible antibacterial and antifungal properties. Due to these properties it is widely used for skin problems, such as cold sores (mixed with turmeric) and non-healing ulcers. It is often used in cough and lung medicines because it breaks up mucus.
It is also used widely in aphrodisiacs which can be explained by honey being sourced from flowers which are the plant’s reproductive organs.
According to the principle ‘like increases like’ honey has the potential to nourish our reproductive organs by increasing what Ayurveda terms ‘ojas’. It is hence a valuable rejuvenator and used in many rasayana formulas, such as Chywanaprash.
Additionally according to Ayurveda it is the best ‘yogavahi’ substance. This Sanskrit word refers to honey’s ability to carry the properties of medicines added to it. This is due to the fact that honey originates from flowers having different tastes and properties and itself has many latent therapeutic powers. As such honey is often used as a carrier of other medicines or herbs.
Honey and warm water helps to flush out the toxins from your body. By helping you to get regular, it helps you to regularly rid your body of toxins that can build up and cause disease. Adding lemon to the mix increases the benefits, as lemons help to increase urination, dispelling toxins more frequently and keeping your urinary tract healthy. Lemon contains citric acid, which helps to maximize enzyme function and in turn stimulate the liver and help with detoxification.
Feeling a little uncomfortable and gassy? Drinking a glass of warm water and honey will help! Honey helps to neutralize gas.
Some Ayurveda uses of bee’s honey
Bee’s honey is used in treatment of various ailments and as a popular home remedy. Some of these uses are given below.
1. Stress / fatigue: 15 ml of bee’s honey orally to reduce stress and fatigue.
2. Weakness: 15 ml each of bee’s honey and fruit juice of Punica granatum twice a day before meals.
3. Sleep disturbance: Intake of 15 ml of bee’s honey leads to sound sleep.
4. Eyesight: 10 ml of honey mixed with 10 ml of carrot juice and consumed regularly will improve eyesight.
5. Bad breath: 5 g of powdered cinnamon bark and 5ml of bee’s honey mixed with water and use as a mouth wash.
6. Teething pain: Massage gums gently with bee’s honey. Should not use in children below one year.
7. Sore throat: 5 ml of bee’s honey and 10 ml of lime juice is mixed and given. Swallow the concoction (without water) every few
hours until symptoms clear up. Add a pinch of black pepper to increase blood circulation to the throat.
8. Cold and cough: Mix 10 ml of honey with equal quantity of ginger juice and consume twice a day.
9. Bronchial asthma: A mixture of 2.5g of black pepper powder, 5ml each of honey and juice of ginger consumed thrice daily help to
relieve the symptoms of asthma.
10. Hiccough: 5 ml of bee’s honey is mixed with 10 ml of breast milk. Nasya Karma (nasal douche) is performed with this mixture in
treatment of hiccough. This is used by traditional physicians of Sri Lanka.
11. Stomach ulcers: 5 ml of new bee’s honey diluted in 10 ml of water and given twice a day before meals.
12. Vomiting: 2.5g each of powder of fruit of Piper longum and popped rice is ground with 15ml of bee’s honey and given orally as an
13. Dehydration: Fresh bee’s honey diluted in water is given to rehydrate.
14. Diarrhea: Drink 5 ml of old bee’s honey thrice a day before meals.
15. Diarrhea/Dysentery: 15 ml of bee’s honey mixed with 120 ml of decoction of tubers ofCyperus rotundus is given in treatment of
diarrhea and dysentery.
16. Bed-wetting: Give 5ml of old bee’s honey daily just before going to bed.
17. Diabetes mellitus: 5 ml of bee’s honey mixed with a pinch of powdered seeds of Gossypium herbaceum and is given to reduce
blood sugar in diabetic patients.
18. Hypertension: Daily intake of 10 ml of honey mixed with 5 ml of garlic juice helps to control blood pressure.
19. Arthritis: 30 ml each of bee’s honey and coconut vinegar is mixed in 100ml of water and given twice a day to reduce arthritis and
20. Sub fertility due to lack of semen: Add 5 ml of bee’s honey to a glass of goat’s milk and drink.
21. Morning sickness: 15 ml of bee’s honey before breakfast.
22. Relief from hangover: Mix 10ml of bee’s honey with half a cup of orange juice and half a cup yogurt. Blend them together
properly and drink.
Cosmetic uses of bee’s honey
Honey and beeswax are used in the beauty industry as a skin moisturizer, softener and to heal the skin tissue. Some cosmetic
applications of bee’s honey are given below-
1. Face wash: Mix a small quantity of lemon juice into 5ml of bee’s honey and apply on face before washing. This is used as a home
2. Facial to improve smoothness: A tablespoon of honey whisked together with white of an egg, 1 teaspoon of glycerin and 1/4 cup
of flour makes an excellent firming mask. Just smooth on the face, leave on 15 min, and rinse off with warm water.
3. Facial to improve softness: Mix one or two tablespoons of honey with one-third cup finely ground oatmeal. Add a teaspoonful of
rose water. Clean face thoroughly. Spread facial mixture evenly over face. Relax for 10 min to 1.5 h. Remove with a soft washcloth
and warm water. Rinse with cold water.
4. Facial moisturizing pack: Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 2 teaspoons of whole milk. Apply over the face and keep for 15 min.
Rinse off with warm water, and then with cold water.
5. Pimples: Apply bee’s honey on pimples.
6. Cracked lips: Apply bee’s honey on cracked lips.
7. Lotion for dry patches of skin: Mix 5ml of bee’s honey, 5ml of olive oil and 2.5 ml of lemon juice. Apply on skin and wash after 15
8. Hair lustre: Mix 5ml of bee’s honey into 4 cups of warm water. Use as a hair rinse.
9. Conditioner: Mix 10 ml of olive oil into 5ml of bee’s honey and apply on hair. Wash after 15 min.
Some thrilling facts and figures of honey
• There is no expiry for Honey if stored properly.
• It is said to be the only food that requires no digestion and passes directly into the bloodstream.
• Honey is never cooked as it will become toxic.
• Honey is produced by bees as a food source.
• To produce about 500 g of honey, foraging honey bees have to travel the equivalent of three times around the world
1. How many flowers must honey bees tap to make one pound of honey?
2. How far does a hive of bees fly to bring you one pound of honey?
Over 55,000 miles.
3. How much honey does the average worker honey bee make in her lifetime?
4. How fast does a honey bee fly?
About 15 miles per hour.
5. How much honey would it take to fuel a bee’s flight around the world?
About one ounce.
6. What is mead?
7. How long have bees been producing honey from flowering plants?
10-20 million years.
8. What Scottish liqueur is made with honey?
9. How many sides does each honeycomb cell have?
10. How many wings does a honey bee have?
11. How many flowers does a honey bee visit during one collection trip?
12. How do honey bees communicate with one another?
“Dancing.” Honey bees do a dance which alerts other bees where nectar and pollen was located. The dance explains direction and
distance. Bees also communicate with pheromones.
The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.